Argyle Vest-Along!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Got gauge?

Nope, I surely don't. But I am definitely loving the knitting! The yarn - like buttah! The chart - a lot easier than it looks. Getting gauge, well that's a different story.


The stitch gauge is about 3 stitches off. I should be getting 22 stitches over 4 inches and I am getting 25. My row gauge is slightly off as well: I'm getting about 26 stitches over 4 inches instead of 30. I was afraid of this. I committed to buying the needles before knowing I'd get gauge. The yarn recommends a size 5 and the pattern recommends a size 4. I just couldn't imagine going down to 3's, two whole needles sizes from the yarn's label recommendation. My options are a.) knit tighter, b.) take my chances knitting the smallest size and work it out in blocking, or c.) suck it up and buy size 3 circulars and dpns. My first inclination is to do a combo of A and B. Any advice?

2 comment(s):

Yes, I definitely have a suggestion... DON"T buy SMALLER needles! It is one of those 'brain fart' things that happens to all of us... if you have too many stiches per inch, it means that your needles are too small, not too big. Think about it- a smaller needle makes a smaller stitch, which means that MORE stiches fit in each inch. So, go bigger! :)
The funny thing is, I had this same conversation with Cece- she had too many stitches per inch, and so she asked me to borrow smaller needles, and neither of us even blinked. Silly us!
Anyway, good luck finding gauge... hate when that happens!

By Blogger Amanda, at 5:32 AM  

I love it in black and white!

By Blogger Emily, at 5:12 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home