Argyle Vest-Along!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Eunny's comments

[Eunny's comments to the last post -- re-posted by me, Fi]

Hi ladies -

I've been following the -along with a lot of interest. I'm so sorry about the size/length/row gauge problems many of you are having - it's kind of been perplexing me, since 30rows/4inches is a pretty middle-of-the-road gauge for a DK-weight yarn.

I'm getting the feeling that many knitters are increasing the needle size to get stitch gauge (which, of course, affects row gauge), not knitting round swatches, or not blocking the swatch aggressively. The best solution I can suggest is to:

1) Swatch in the round!
2) Practice a little stranded knitting. Make sure your floats are consistently generous - if your floats are too tight, your stitch gauge will be way too tight.
2) Swatch for row gauge. That is, make your swatch work out as close as possible to 30 rows/4 inches, keeping your floats loose and comfortable, and see if blocking gets you stitch gauge with that same swatch.
3) Block aggressively. Seriously, soak your swatch in cool water for 15-20 minutes to get things completely saturated, and try to pin it to get gauge. You'll be suprised at how much give there really is.

Hope this helps! If you do end up recalculating the decreases, I suggest marking inches on the chart for your size - if your new row gauge is, say, 24 rows/4 inches, tick off every 6 rows as one inch. Using this "ruler", redrawing your decrease lines should be pretty straightforward - no math needed, just your eyeballs.

Now that I think of it, would someone be able to copy and post this as a new entry to the blog, so everyone's sure to see it? That would be great!

p.s. If you are really unhappy with how your vest turned out, and feel the problem lies with the pattern - email me, and we'll work something out.

2 comment(s):

Since I never joined this vest-along I can't post, but I wanted to mention that I did finish a version! It doesn't fit me so well right now, but I think a bit of adjusting should do the trick.

I did hit row gauge, but I think I'm just abnormally shaped so it didn't work out so well. It fits on the bottom, but not on the top. I'm going to fuss around with it a bit and see what happens. Ignore my whining in the post though, I was just very dissapointed it didn't work out exactly as I had planned. I'm going to take in the sides at the armholes a bit, and I'm going to attempt to make the yarn relax more at the shoulders so it's not so puffy.

Overall I absolutely loved the pattern. I didn't have any trouble with it, nor with the yarn I used (knitpicks merino wool) so I would reccommend it. Even if mine doesn't fit, I really enjoyed the process. I can probably give it to someone who it will fit. My only problem is where the steeks fold over on the tops of the shoulders it is wicked puffy. I've seen other versions that don't have this problem (Erin's is even the same colors and hers looks great!) so perhaps I just need to take a little more time to flatten them out.

Enough rambling. You can see how mine came out here: emileee23.blogspot.com Once I make adjustments I'll try it on and post pictures.

Good luck to everyone still working on it!

By Blogger Emily, at 4:42 PM  

I swatched in the round and blocked my two gauge swatches just as the pattern outlines. I have had no problems with the pattern, I think it is extremely well written and contains a lot of useful information and very detailed instructions. The reasons behind my row gauge issues were because I got turned around about what row gauge meant. The classic mistake I made was to think that I needed to add rows to reconcile my 26 rows an inch to 30. But I think it may have turned out all right in the end. It is currently in it's 2nd day of blocking and I will hopefully post finished pictures tomorrow!

By Blogger Erin, at 6:06 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home