Argyle Vest-Along!

Monday, April 10, 2006

Gauge woes

I slogged through the 2 x 2 ribbing this week and finally made it to the colorwork this weekend. I do mine with a color in each hand, which seems to work pretty well for me.


I have gotten through several rounds and my stitch gauge is right on, yay! The bad news is that my row gauge is WAY off... I'm getting about 11.5 rows over 2 inches (23 rows over 4").

This is a pretty huge difference. After reading about everyone's vests turning out way too long, I'm not sure what I should do. Should I somehow adjust the shaping so that I do the arm holes a little earlier? I need your advice, VestAlong-ers!

5 comment(s):

I'm not a part of this KAL, but plan to start the vest soon myself.

I wrote to Eunny about the row gauge problems many of us are having. She suggested simply reworking the decreases to suit your row gauge--as you can see, the fair isle motif is simply laid out on the chart, and the different sizes are outlined over it. I plan to sit down and create a new outline, one that takes into account the different row gauge and places the decreases where they'd need to be to match my row gauge. Maybe try doing that, and we'll both see how our vests end up!

By Blogger Kerry, at 5:46 PM  

I think kerry is right, just do the math and readjust the decreases, increases, neck, armholes, and total rows to match your row gauge. I wish I had done that at the start. Good luck!

By Blogger Erin, at 12:10 AM  

Hi - I can in NO WAY help you as I am clueless to fixing problems! I was actually wondering if you could tell me if your vest looks black & white in person as it does in the pics. I ordered Coal and Vanilla from Knitpicks and don't like the Vanilla. Fog looks grey on their website, but white on your vest next to the Coal. I am debating ordering the Fog ... Thanks!

By Anonymous dawn, at 5:09 PM  

Seems like the consensus is for me to adjust the shaping... but I've already done several rounds and I don't want to rip. Oh well, that might be the only way. At least I've realized it now!

And to answer Dawn - Yes, the vest reads pretty much black & white. Fog is a very pale grey, so it's not a start black & white.

By Blogger An Abundance of Lisa, at 6:53 PM  

Hi ladies -

I've been following the -along with a lot of interest. I'm so sorry about the size/length/row gauge problems many of you are having - it's kind of been perplexing me, since 30rows/4inches is a pretty middle-of-the-road gauge for a DK-weight yarn.

I'm getting the feeling that many knitters are increasing the needle size to get stitch gauge (which, of course, affects row gauge), not knitting round swatches, or not blocking the swatch aggressively. The best solution I can suggest is to:

1) Swatch in the round!
2) Practice a little stranded knitting. Make sure your floats are consistently generous - if your floats are too tight, your stitch gauge will be way too tight.
2) Swatch for row gauge. That is, make your swatch work out as close as possible to 30 rows/4 inches, keeping your floats loose and comfortable, and see if blocking gets you stitch gauge with that same swatch.
3) Block aggressively. Seriously, soak your swatch in cool water for 15-20 minutes to get things completely saturated, and try to pin it to get gauge. You'll be suprised at how much give there really is.

Hope this helps! If you do end up recalculating the decreases, I suggest marking inches on the chart for your size - if your new row gauge is, say, 24 rows/4 inches, tick off every 6 rows as one inch. Using this "ruler", redrawing your decrease lines should be pretty straightforward - no math needed, just your eyeballs.

Now that I think of it, would someone be able to copy and post this as a new entry to the blog, so everyone's sure to see it? That would be great!

p.s. If you are really unhappy with how your vest turned out, and feel the problem lies with the pattern - email me, and we'll work something out.

By Blogger eunny, at 1:10 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home