Argyle Vest-Along!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Math makes my brain hurt

After seeing how many of you have ended up with longer-than-desired vests, I decided that drastic action was needed. I enlisted the help of my friends Stephanie and Veronique to puzzle out the math needed to adjust the shaping and placement of steeks and armholes. Check out my blog for the pics...

I wish I had researched my merino options more... Knit Picks Merino Style is a much larger DK weight than what Eunny used and I think I should have been looking for a sport weight merino, based on the gauge Eunny calls for in the pattern. I wish I had found this before I bought the Knit Picks. While it's much more expensive, I think it would have created a much less bulky fabric, and I would have been closer to the mark on gauge. If I make this sweater again, I might splurge on this yarn.

I'm chugging along on the body of the vest and I've already divided for the neck steek. The armholes are coming up soon. I can't believe how fast of a knit this was! Maybe I can actually get a wear out of it before it gets too warm here in NYC to wear a wool vest.

Happy Knitting!

2 comment(s):

You wouldn't want to share all that math with us, would you? ;D The KP merino, while beautiful, cheap and soft, appears to be giving all of us a huge headache! And I have to admit I am staring at the photo of your pattern adjustment notes, trying to decipher them, since I am so nervous about making all these adjustments myself...

By Blogger Kerry, at 5:52 PM  

I'll do a post this week about the adjustments I had to make to the pattern... It basically involved doing a lot of cross-multiply-and-divide based on my gauge. I ended up cutting almost 20 rows of length from the pattern!

By Blogger An Abundance of Lisa, at 8:45 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home